Saturday, April 10, 2010

The nudge I need to finish some projects (in theory, anyway)

I decided to officially join Apartment Therapy's Spring 2010 Cure. What's this "cure", you say? It's an eight week commitment to make my home better, more inviting, less cluttered, more complete, or whatever changes necessary to make me come home at the end of the day and feel satisfied. I'm going to focus on finally finishing the bedrooms. I've said I will finish the bedrooms before, but this time is different. I have a flickr group to keep me accountable. That'll make me get these unfinished projects done, right? Maybe? Wishful thinking? We'll see in several weeks!

Here are the four rooms in their "before" state.

The master bedroom:

Photobucket

Photobucket

What I want to do:
1 - hang art
2 - do some sort of window treatments
3 - find objects to fill out the space

The nursery (you've seen this before):

Photobucket

What I want to do:
1 - hang art
2 - find lighting solutions
3 - find a way to fit the furniture into the small room

My daughter's room:

Photobucket

Photobucket

What I want to do:
1 - find and hang a mirror for her
2 - find or make a piece of art to pull it all together, and incorporate her art that she so lovingly created and hung to decorate her room (and her brothers' rooms).

My oldest son's room:

Photobucket

Photobucket

What I want to do:
1 - put something on the walls (notice a theme here?)
2 - organize the toys
3 - replace the temporary window treatments with something that doesn't clash and hit the floor.

Phew! No problem, right?

I think that what's been holding me back, keeping me from finishing these rooms, is that I hate to put a lot of time and effort into a room if there's a possibility that we could be moving this year. And that's a possibility. However, I finally realized that I can't live based on what might happen, so I've decided to go ahead and pour some time and effort into making these rooms more inviting. Plus, if I do it now, I'll be even more prepared and skilled and able to do it better next time.

13 comments:

McMommy said...

I love your taste and how you decorated the rooms already!! I've lived in my house for 5 years now and I still have absolutely nothing hanging on my bedroom walls and I painted everything white b/c I couldn't be pressured into picking wall colors quickly and...and..and..

Yeah. I need so MUCH help. You are ions ahead of me. :)

Mrs. McFadden said...

Any reason to go to IKEA is a good one, you will find a ton of things to put on the kids walls there. :0) Happy decorating. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

White Balance Photography said...

I have the same problem. Moving from a small space to a decent size I really have a lot of wall space. 8 weeks. Can't wait for the update hopefully I will have one too.

Shari said...

Um...wow...wish my "todo" rooms liked that nice to begin with...can't wait to see the finished ones.

Catherine^ said...

Your house has a lovely warm feel to it. I'm looking forward to watching your progress :)

StacyB said...

Can you please come do mine, as well. But I don't have 8 weeks, just 7. And the "nursery" is still a junk zone. I get palpitations just thinking about it. So why am I typing in blogs when I could be doing that? One requires more physical energy than the other. :P

Fire Wife Katie said...

Thanks for all of the positive feed-back! Thankfully I won't have to do any major changes at this point, mostly just decorate the place and try to make good purchases (which is so hard sometimes!) I'm hoping that some peer pressure will keep me in line and on schedule. :) Mrs. McFadden, an Ikea trip is definitely in the near future!

Dawn said...

I really like your blog. I am over from the UBP '10. I think you have good taste and some great piece to work with. You can do this!

Hydrant girl said...

It looks great already, and I can't wait to see the changes. And I love the art in your son's room, it's the best kind.

Kathryn said...

I love your rooms already! Isn't decorating fun? I'm working on my bedroom right now. It needs a fresh coat of paint and some wall decor, too.

louise said...

This is partly a test to see if I can really post now as my own person and not "annonymous". I love what you have done with your house so far and look forward to seeing it all "pulled together". We have lived in this house for 30 years and what I would really like to do is gut it and start over ... but this year we have had some reasons to redo specific rooms: one for a grandson that came for a while, another for a granddaughter that WANTED to come for a while and the last for our youngest grandson who is here daily. A couple of weeks ago I did a major toy cleaning and just basic cleaning in his room. When I took the curtains down to wash, he said he would like new ones ... "red ones". Well, hmmm ... with brown zig-zag printed wall paper and green carpet. HOW would I incorporate red curtains. Well, I made the curtains, got a great deal on red and black sheets, cleaned the wall hanging already there (looks like an acquarium and has black edges), kept the stuffed red shaggy dog as a desk decoration ... and found a great matching red "throw" on clearance. (All bedding: top and bottom sheets, two pillow cases and the throw cost a total of $30 ... I love clearance!) So, now, the 6 year old whose room this is all in is making his own pillow for the floor ... edged in black and with lots of bright colors including red in the pattern. Makes it all fun! Can't wait to see your results!

Fire Wife Katie said...

Hi Louise, nice to see a face with the name. :)

Sam said...

I love your current decor! I, too, am desperately needing to decorate my home. I have the same mindset...that why decorate I could move at anytime. But I'd really love to make our house more like a home. This has made me think about how I can decorate my house.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...