Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sweet Pea Salsa

...Or guacamole, I can't decide which it more closely resembles. Either way, this is a deliciously bright, textural, naturally sweet and savory Mexican dip.

Photobucket

This is a variation of a recipe by Michael Roberts, from Great Food Without Fuss. Added bonus — it stays a lovely vibrant green and won't brown like guacamole does. This recipe could easily be spiced up a bit by adding more peppers.

Photobucket

Cilantro and lime — is anything more heavenly?

Ingredients:
1 lb frozen petite green peas, thawed
10 - 15 sprigs fresh cilantro
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
1/4 red onion, finely diced
Juice of 1 lime (2 tbsp)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp salt

Begin by thawing the peas. You can zap them for a few minutes in the microwave, or just place them in a strainer and run warm water over them. Set them aside and let all the moisture drain off. While the peas are draining, remove the leaves from approximately 10 large sprigs of cilantro and place the leaves in a food processor or blender.

Photobucket

Next, split one jalapeño pepper (or two Serrano peppers). Lop the stem off and scrape the seeds out with a spoon.

Photobucket

Add the de-seeded peppers, along with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the juice of one lime, to the food processor.

Photobucket

Pulse the mixture, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed, until this...

Photobucket

resembles this.

Photobucket

Inhale the bright citrusy goodness and transport yourself to a little place near L.A. that sells the most intoxicating fresh fish tacos.

When you return, add the thawed peas, ground cumin, chili powder, and salt.

Photobucket

Pulse until the mixture is thoroughly blended.

Photobucket

Finally, finely dice a quarter of a red onion.

Photobucket

Stir the onion into the mixture.

Photobucket

Serve with salty tortilla chips, or with any recipe calling for guacamole as a garnish.

Photobucket

9 comments:

tara said...

Hi! I'm tara. I just found your blog after searching for firefighter wife blogs and I thought I'd just tell you I've enjoyed reading so far! My husband is a licensed firefighter/emt in paramedic school. He doesn't have a job yet though. I just wanted to network with some other firefighting wives.

Danielle said...

YUM YUM YUM,, not only am I totally going to try this,, I'm bookmarking this page so I won't forget!:) Hows that for awesome!?

Fire Wife Katie said...

Tara, nice to meet you! *waving* I know how painfully hard it is to get the job -- wishing the best for you and your guy! The paramedic license will be a HUGE step in the right direction, I'm sure it will help open doors!

Danielle, I was surprised by how well the pea base worked in a mexican dish. But it really does! It's just the right amount of sweet and tangy. :D

Anonymous said...

What an intriguing recipe! I think I'll give this a try!

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

First time at your blog...what a beautiful family you have.

This recipe looks so delicious too, i love cilantro, i might try this tonight.

Kevin said...

I really like the sound of a pea salsa!

Stacy Kaye said...

Wow, that looks HEAVENLY! Can't wait to try it!

The Mommy said...

Great pictures! Looks yummy:)

Libby said...

OMG I am so all about this!!!
Mexican food is probably my number one thing I miss...but peas are quite plentiful here...so making it tomorrow (my family *demands) weekly mexican food upon learning I could make fairly authentic meals) :-D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...