Thursday, May 6, 2010

Picture Frame Border

I had insomnia the other night. While I was sighing heavily and pulling up the edges of the sheets with the incessant rolling over, an idea kept coming back to me. I noticed while at the dollar store the other day that they had picture frames. I didn't pay too much attention; just noted that they were there. I thought that maybe I could create a border along my daughter's walls made up of frames painted white, full of the photos she loves. She could change the photos out over the years.

Part of the reason that I wanted to put the pictures as a border was that the proper height to hang a frame is at eye level. For her, eye level is only three feet off the ground. With the photos as a border, I could get away with keeping that hanging rule and make it look somewhat natural. And with frames from the dollar store, the project shouldn't cost much at all. At such a cheap price, it wouldn't matter that the pictures are hung low enough to be damaged.

Here's an example of the type of picture frame I expected to find:

Photobucket

A cheap, standard 5 x 7 frame.

I couldn't believe it when I found these instead:

Photobucket

Here's a size comparison:

Photobucket

Originally I had planned on doing different shapes and sizes of frames and painting them white. Ultimately, I chose these frames instead because

a: there were plenty of them,
b: they were already white — no painting needed, and
c: there's a lot going on in her room — I thought that a toned down border might not compete so much with all of the other elements.

Plus, square frames would make the hanging process very easy.

I grabbed the frames, got some hanging supplies (also at the dollar store), and ordered some 5 x 7 prints from Costco.

The only slightly difficult thing about this project was that I had to cut the paper tape in the back to expose the tabs to take out the existing picture.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I pulled out the old pictures, taped my daughter's photographs in place, and measured the wall to figure out how to space them.

Photobucket

Here's how the project turned out:

Photobucket

Photobucket

The whole project, including ordering the pictures and hanging supplies, cost less than $30 for twenty pictures!

But most importantly, my daughter LOVES it! She can't wait to invite her friends over to see her walls. She has to clean the rest of the room first — the part I strategically left out of the pictures. ;)

18 comments:

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

You are an absolute whiz for finding cheap things that look amazing! I like the idea of the photos. You should do a timeline as she grows :)

HB said...

that's really cool!

Mommy Living said...

I love that! Such a great idea!

Chennifer said...

wow - the result is beautiful!!! what a great idea!

Don’t forget to speak out against racial and ethnic profiling in Arizona – I have several sites on my blog post where you can protest!

Sarah said...

Wow - it looks great!

Found you through SITS

Magimom said...

I LOVE that idea! Wonderful look to the whole room, and easily updated too!
Thanks for following on my blog!

Fire Wife Katie said...

Thanks, you guys! :D Magimom and Sarah, I've had a lot of fun finding new blogs through SITS. Thanks for stopping by!

Courtney said...

Beautiful!!! What a great idea!

StacyB said...

Fantastic, Katie.
We have too much furniture in the rooms to pull that off. But it looks amazing!!!!

Christy said...

what a neat idea and it turned out so great! i am very impressed...what a great design feature.

e-Mom said...

Fantastic idea! And so affordable.

I'm enjoying your blog. Subscribing...

Happy Mother's Day!

e-Mom @ Susannah's {Kitchen} Aprons

Stephanie said...

That is such a great idea, and wicked cheap! Holy Moly!! :)

Rachel C said...

Gorgeous! You're very brave to put glass within reach of the kids though - those would never last at my house :) maybe in about 10 yrs.

Fire Wife Katie said...

Yeah -- we went back and forth about leaving the glass in or not. Ultimately we decided to leave it in for now, since she's such a cautious child. We'll see how long it lasts!

More Than A Mom said...

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Great idea with the photos.

Sheena. G said...

Ah that's where I get my photo frames from! I think you can actually buy in bulk online, which is awesome :)

Dania Padron said...

Happy belated SITS Saturday. Love the idea of the photos. I've been dying to do the same in my son's room. Now I just have to find the time to do it.

I'll be following you now if only to get more yummy recipes like the one for sweet pea salsa!

Happy Mother's Day.

jen said...

Great project, I love that you thought to place it at her eye level. (I found you when you shared it on Apartment Therapy.)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...