Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The ecstasy and the agony.

One year while we were visiting my family in Utah, I told my husband that I was taking him to the best fireworks show. I told him that we would be sitting so close to the explosions that we would be dodging embers. I don't think he believed me. He's from California, and you just don't put the public (and the hillside) at risk like that. Usually. And "the best" is a pretty strong claim to make. He was intrigued, agreed to go, but prepared himself to be disappointed.

Photobucket

That was nearly ten years ago. He STILL talks about how great that show was. When we had the opportunity to schedule our trip to visit my family on the right weekend, he jumped at the chance to see the fireworks again.

Photobucket

I heard my husband chuckling with glee as embers ricocheted off the metal of the fence in front of us and bounced down the hill. I sat on the steep grass embankment trying to keep my three year old, who was hiding in my arms, from rolling us both down the 45° slope. He held the fetal position with vigor, refusing to straighten his legs, and shoving his "lots of stuff" into any open spaces near his face. My daughter and the baby loved the loud display.

Photobucket

After the show, we searched the hillside for all of our things, carefully made our way down to the street, retrieved our blanket that had the unfortunate fate of being with our friends down in the section of grass where the sprinklers turned on, and made our way further down the hill to the car.

Photobucket

I was just happy that no one stepped on an ember or fell down the hill. The incline did claim one victim before all was said and done, however. Right at the very end, as I was stepping off of the curb to get in the car, I managed to fall into the gutter. In my defense, it was a spectacular gutter with steep angles, to accommodate the storm drain. And it was really dark. Here's how it went down:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Not depicted here is the laughing and pointing from the steady stream of people and cars heading home from the show.

Yeah. It was awesome.

23 comments:

SarahB said...

Oh Katie! You had me laughing out loud! I'm sure I would have fallen too, but your drawing of it is just hilarious!

Cristina said...

Hahaha....! Oh my gosh! You didn't even drop your purse!

(I'm so glad you didn't get hurt, by the way.)

Our Crazy Crew said...

Wow! Never knew a person with as much grace as myself! I wasn't laughing at your pix. I was holding my breath knowing what was coming. I think i have done this one too many times. Was the pride smarting the most or did you get hurt? I have to tell you though, being a visual person, that picture spoke volumes!

Fire Wife Katie said...

It was pretty funny! Nothin hurt but my pride, and a very mild sprained ankle. I can laugh about it now. :)

Right after it happened, my firefighter helped me out of the pit of darkness and I reassured him with an adrenaline-laced, very un-reassuring, high-pitched, trembling voice that I was fine. Then I sat in my seat and cried like a little girl. :p (I really was fine. Just physically and emotionally unstable!)

Hydrant girl said...

OMG that's hilarious!

Cristina said...

Oh you cried! Now I feel so bad that I laughed :( I want to send you a cake now. Or how about muffins? Can I send you some muffins?

Fire Wife Katie said...

Don't feel bad, Christina! You should have seen how hard my husband was laughing at my drawings! I guess that means he owes me muffins too? :D

Cristina said...

Yes, he does. But I bet I bake better muffins. Your drawings are awesome. Now I wish I took pictures of the lost sheep drawings I made for a lesson I taught. The sad thing is... the lost sheep drawing got lost. I only have the shepherd with the flock.

Cristina said...

PS
My pumpkin chocolate chip are the best.

cheri said...

wow, you drew it pretty well. oh, and who took those shots of the fireworks? it was awesome!!!!

Ms. Understood said...

I love your diagrams of the fall. LOL. Very creative. Sorry you fell, but I literally laughed out loud. The fireworks looked beautiful.

Ratz said...

Oh hahhaha.... your purse.... u are still clutching on it... Bwahahahahaha

citymouse said...

Too funny. I love the drawings. Let's just say that Grace is not my middle name, so I feel your pain!

Stopping by from SITS.

melaniek said...

love the drawings...just hilarious! Don't worry, I have about the same amount of grace...like falling up the stairs. lol

Kristy said...

That was great! Thank you for making us laugh with your own harrowing story. Loved the format of the drawings. And, those pics of the fireworks - unbelievable!

Allyson & Jere said...

Your drawing here is GENIUS! No really, the 2D effect with your stick figure self falling. No words! Thanks for the laugh. I mean, thanks for being willing to let us laugh at your misfortune. I MEAN, sorry you fell in the gutter!

Oh, and also...those firework pictures WERE spectacular!

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

So where is the drawing of the handsome firefighter that came and picked you up out of the gutter? ;)

Fire Wife Katie said...

Cheri, my husband took the fireworks pictures. :) And speaking of my husband, mr. firefighter/paramedic, I want to see a stick figure depiction of your daring rescue on your blog! :D

artsy_momma said...

Love the drawings! I wish my photos looked that good :)

Jenn Erickson said...

OMG ~ love, love, love your cartoon illustrations! That fireworks display looks absolutely magnificent. The ones we have here on the Monterey Peninsula are pretty darn anemic. Hmmm...I may have to plan a trip out-of-state next 4th of July!

Thank you so much for participating in the SITS B2B Day 3 Discussion on Blog Frog!

Best,
Jenn

Hanna said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower!!! I found you on the Sunday linky!! I love finding new blogs and your is lovely:)
You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Fire Wife Katie said...

Hi artsy momma jenn and Hanna, nice to meet you! :)

Rachel said...

Oh ouch, oh ouch! Is it bad that I giggled at your drawings, while still feeing totally empathetic? :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...