Saturday, July 31, 2010

Umm... this is a "cook" book?

1983 must have been a difficult year for cookbook publishers. There appears to have been a dearth of actual recipes, hence the publishing of this cookbook.

Photobucket

I love the charming, eclectic collection of cookbooks that I've received over the years. I adore the cover of this one. I've had it for a while, and only just yesterday sat down to see what hidden gems it might hold.

That's when I came across this entry for fried chicken.

Photobucket

Preparation time: ZERO!

Clearly, this writer doesn't live 15 minutes, one way, away from KFC. I'm surprised she didn't also include instructions for opening the containers and placing the chicken on plates, as she did for this orange sherbet and fortune cookie recipe:

Photobucket

Or, there's this "recipe" for rice, in the section for preparing dinner for VIP's, no less.

Photobucket

Truthfully, this book more accurately portrays dinner at my house than most cookbooks (minus the fried chicken and minute rice — I can't stand minute rice when the real thing is so easy), and it is kind of validating to have an actual published cookbook tell me to go through the drive-thru and crack open a pint of ice cream!

In closing, I'd like to leave you with detailed instructions for the preparation of breadsticks, only two ingredients needed! Bet you can't guess what they are...

Photobucket

(Here's my personal favorite quick and easy bread stick recipe.)

17 comments:

Katherine said...

I had no idea that my cooking methods were worthy of a cookbook. What a relief!

This is hilarious.

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

This is hilarious! It is as if my little sister made a cook book. And you're bread sticks look a lot better than their one-step masterpieces. haha.

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Hehehehe I CANNOT believe this! I'd have 10 books out by now :P

Cristina said...

Hahaha.... my recipe for rice? Send husband to Chinese restaurant and order one take-out of white rice. Cost? $1.75 Serving? approx. 4 Perfection every time. I even get a fortune cookie every time. I can save them for that sherbet recipe.

This is awesome.

Brandy said...

This is so funny! Who knew that you could just tell people how to buy and open things and you could make money selling a cookbook? I might need to look into that..... :)

Hydrant girl said...

LMAO! This is my kind of "cooking"!

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

So that's where you get your recipes?!

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef said...

Oh wow. Are you sure this wasn't a cookbook for college kids? So funny!

Cristina said...

(He totally owes you muffins now...)

stoppedcooking said...

This is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. They should have made some side dish suggestions for the KFC, that can get a little overwhelming ;)

www.thebitchstoppedcooking.blogspot.com

chele said...

Cooking, huh? I grew up on Minute Rice (yuk!) but started making real rice when I started cooking for myself.

jadenotjaded said...

haha! I guess I should write a cookbook then! take the Ramen out of the bag and boil, add seasoning, eat. :) funny!

Fire Wife Katie said...

There were some real recipes in the book too, but I'd say a good 25% were like this!

And Christine -- yes -- he REALLY owes me muffins now!! Lol! You're lucky I love you, Mr. Firefighter/Paramedic!

SarahB said...

How in the world did this book get published? Crazy!

Rachel said...

That is just crazy!!! I'm blown away!

Life with Kaishon said...

This is my kind of cooking : )
I am going to promote this on twitter right this second!

comfortablydomestic.com said...

That is hilarious! I only wish I'd thought of it first!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...