Friday, September 3, 2010

Best Firefighter Costume Ever!

Let's face it, firefighting is a chance to play the ultimate game of dress-up.

Photobucket


I love the attention to detail in a firefighter's turnouts. Every square foot of fabric is closely tailored.

Photobucket


Every pocket and latch serves a purpose. There are even some fancy colors here and there, just for fun. Because what firefighter doesn't want to have that thrill of "hey, this is kinda fun" when donning turnouts? Manufacturers of red suspenders everywhere, fear not, the fire department is here to keep you in business.

Photobucket


I get a kick out of playing dress-up in the turnouts, too.

Photobucket

This is me, swimming in my husband's gear. Let me tell you, it was all fun and games until I tried to bend. And walk.

Turnout gear is heavy! And that air cylinder in back? It's heavy too! The cylinder makes it so your spine can't move like God intended it to. Pretty much not at all. And the mask is so... enclosing! I imagine that it wouldn't be quite so bad if I had properly fitted gear, but still. This is a serious dress-up game. I'm amazed at the agility and speed of the firefighters who wear all this stuff. I'm especially amazed at how quickly they can put it all on.

Since there's so much attention to detail in a firefighter's garb, it's difficult to find a costume that does it justice. Most outfits are along the lines of this,

Photobucket

a one-piece costume that is basically glorified pajamas, or you get the plastic version that could double as a rain slicker.

You can imagine how excited I was to see this fantastically detailed costume at Costco today. (Just to clarify, the close-up pictures above are of the costume, too.)

Photobucket


Photobucket


Even the hat is more than just your average costume hat — it's thicker plastic,

Photobucket


and it's adjustable!

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


The costume comes in black or tan, and is only $22.99. A steal, if you ask me. If you ask my son, well, he was happy until he realized that it didn't come with boots. "But Mom, I want BOOOOOTS! Where are the BOOTS? Let's go buy BOOTS!!"

Sigh.

31 comments:

Katherine said...

Awesome costume. Much better than the plastic looking red one we currently have.

Cristina said...

I kinda want red suspenders...

But this is very awesome, and your boy is adorable. (Go get him boots, woman!)

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

Awesome! I can't wait to get home and see it.

On a side note...it's not an oxygen bottle, it's an air cylinder. It just holds compressed air.

Cristina said...

(Nobody likes a show off...)

Fire Wife Katie said...

:p Hey, I'm sure there's oxygen in that air somewhere. :) Correction made.

Cristina said...

I personally think oxygen bottle makes more sense ;)

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

That is a GREAT costume! You're right... its very hard to find a really good costume that isn't just a raincoat with reflectors taped on. I hope they still sell them when I have kids of my own and they are big enough to fit it :)

melaniek said...

That is so awsome! The only other costume I've seen like that you have to buy online and it's like $60! I agree, he needs some boots Momma...lol

Hydrant girl said...

Love the comments between you 2! Very nice costume.

cheri said...

this looks really good. you got me fooled there. i thought the close-ups were from the fireman's gear!

the boy's all set up for halloween - until you find the boots :)

peterkoehn said...

I am putting that on my son's wish list already!! My 4 year old is obsessed with firemen as his 2 uncles are fire fighters. (one is also a paramedic, and the other is captain) I love this!!

Lizzie said...

Awww, that's so cute! And I love Costco, but I had no idea they had stuff like that...I'll take a look for it next time I'm in there.

jenn said...

totally love it!!i am going to Costco to buy Christmas presents;) btw- oxygen tank sounds better!!lol.

Debra said...

That costume is awesome! He looks so cute in it!
Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting me on my SITS day!

Allyson & Jere said...

It is a GREAT costume, I love it. My nieghbor wore it last year and he was just ADORABLE!

DanielleCorrelle said...

That is awesome! We don't have Costco here, I wonder if I can find it at BJ's or Sam's Club...

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Wow! That costume sure beats anything we've ever found for the boys. Great job!

I was amazed the first time I put on my hubby's gear. I couldn't believe how heavy it is. The airpack alone about dropped me to my knees! I don't know how they do it!

Gabriele Agustini said...

OMG! That child is gorgeous!!
This post was fascinating!
I have the greatest respect for firefighters and all that they do.
It's a job that takes b*lls!!
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Awesome pics!
gabriele

Stacey said...

Thanks for the info. Ran out to Costco on Sunday and bought two (one for my son and one to keep for a birthday present or when he has a friend over). Luckily they still had the brown in both sizes but the black was nearly sold out and only the small size was left. My husbands gear is brown so it was all good. Thanks again for posting about this.

areellady said...

That is AWESOME!!! Makes me wish we had a Costco and some little one to let wear it....only a little though!

Mrs. McFadden said...

My son has this costume. He just wore it in our labor day kiddie parade. It is a totally awesome costume!!

Rachel said...

Seriously?!?! I'm in love... Must.go.to.Costco.now!

Please don't go look at the links from the past Halloweens... I kinda slapped something together for poor Itty Bit. But this year... we could totally rock that firefighter outfit! :)

Your boy looks adorable!

Rachel said...

UGH... I'm trying to follow you again (apparently the first time MONTHS AGO did not work). And your Friends thingie is giving me the dreaded square of death :(

I'll keep trying, Friend! :)

The Park Wife said...

FANTASTIC and affordable, I am amazed. Makes me wish we had a Costco close.

Get that boy some boots!
The Park Wife

The Coupon Goddess said...

AWESOME pictures. Just loved this post. I have to stop by more regularly. I miss visiting. Keep up the great posts. :)

Fire Wife Katie said...

:) Still working on the boots, but he'll get some!!

Rachel, now I am going to have to go back and look at your Halloween posts, you can't tell me NOT to, it only makes me want to see more! lol! And thanks for the (re) follow. :)

Anonymous said...

Super cute!! My Costco is all sold out :/ Do you happen to know the brand name? I was thinking of trying the company directly. My son HAS to have that!! :)

Anne said...

Aww.. :( That is too touching! I am loving the firefighter costumes you posted on this blog! Cool! :D

Fire Wife Katie said...

Anon, it was made by Teetot & Company. Good luck!

Dana JustDana said...

We purchased one of these at FDIC several years ago for our then 3 year old son who is now 12...YIKES! This IS the best costume EVER because it has now gone through 3 boys with out a rip one. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

my son wore that costume last year and wants to wear it again this year but it doesn't fit so im looking for a bigger one this year

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...