Sunday, September 11, 2011

How will we, the 9/11 generation, be remembered?

My husband at work today, honoring the 343+ firefighters that were lost ten years ago:

Photobucket

Please excuse the exhausted look. That's my fault. I've been feeling under the weather and the only thing I seem to be able to stomach are little Snickers bars. The fun-sized ones, not the mini ones. It's all about the chocolate to nougat ratio. I ran out, and he was kind enough to make a midnight run to the store for me in spite of the fact that he had to go to work the next day.

It's amazing, isn't it, just how many lives were altered that day? So many hearts were broken as the debris settled. We collectively cried in pain and disbelief and wide-eyed horror. And then there were the years that followed — this unbelievable decade that we've been through. Everyone has been touched in some way, whether it was by the crumbling of buildings, the obliteration of our sense of safety, the downfall of the banking industry, the crash of the housing market, or the free-fall of the economy. So much destruction. So many hearts continue to break as the rubble keeps falling.

So much has changed.

How will our generation be remembered? Will our outrageously divisive politics define us? (Are you ready for another crazy political season? I'm not sure if I can handle it yet! Oh, the phone calls and the commercials and the wild accusations!) Will we be remembered for the years of war we've waged? Will historians think we made the right choices? Will we be know for pointing the finger at the other guy while screaming "it's all his fault?"

I don't know. I think in a way, yes, to all of the above. I'll tell you one thing we're NOT. No one can accuse our generation of being apathetic. Maybe we'll be remembered for our passion in defending what we believe to be right. Sure, we don't all agree about what's "right" for our nation at this time. Sure, there's a lot of yelling across the aisle. But I'll tell you one thing — we're all standing for something.

Potent feelings were awoken that day ten years ago. People who never voiced an opinion suddenly felt compelled to set things right. Our desire to stand up and say something was stirred.

I think the 9/11 generation will be remembered as the generation that cared.
Deeply.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...